October is one of my favorite months of the world! Let me tell you why. (Knew I would, didn’t you?)
- First, Middle Son Matt was born in October. The adorable child grew up to be a very nice, good looking, responsible guy. (A mom can’t ask for more than that.)
It’s party time!
- The weather’s MUCH better. It’s not hot, anymore. No more three digit temps. No more sweat on my brow the moment I step out of the air conditioning. Lower air conditioner bills. And we get a little rain. (I remember once when it snowed on Halloween!)
Leaves! If the trees have any left, they change to gorgeous colors. Oranges and golds and beautiful reds. And there’s something inside me that wants to observe and enjoy and record all of it.
- Apples. Yep, apples. I. Love. Them. Love the tart sweetness, the crunchiness and the millions of dishes that can be made with apples. No way I can name them all, but I love them fried for breakfast, baked in Tuela’s Fresh Apple Cake OR an apple pie, carameled (is that a word?) as well as juiced, warmed and mixed with spices.
Pumkins, pumkins, pumpkins! And gourds. Have you noticed how many varieties there are for sale anymore? From tiny to huge, dark orange to white and there are even some I call Monsterkins–kind of misshapen and covered with warts.
Next time I’m in Austrailia, I’ll see if I can pick up a few. 🙂
- October Birthstone Jewelry (redenvelope.com)
- Pumkins,Pumpkins and More Pumpkins. (savedollarblog.com)
- The Best Apple Cake Ever! (winerequired.wordpress.com)