I love movies. I probably caught that bug from my parents. When they were middle school age, they’d sit together at the free movies shown out-of-doors in Old ‘Ford. 🙂 They enjoyed watching movies together until the day Mama passed.
I watch very little commercial TV because I hate commercials. Movies are my fave!
Some movies I like so much, I’ll watch every time they come on.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn. (Did you know James Cagney was originally chosen to play Robin? Oy!)
- Giant, starring Elizabeth Taylor.
- ANYTHING starring Greer Garson, especially MRS. MINIVER! Oh, and Pride and Prejudice. And Blossoms in the Dust. (tears!) And I can’t leave out VALLEY OF DECISION with both Greer and Gregory Peck. (Y-U-M!!!)
- Lots and lots of John Wayne movies shine at the top of the list. Flying Tigers, Angel and the Bad Man, Shepherd of the Hills, The Cowboys, Stagecoach and HONDO! to name a few.
- Tomorrow is Forever, with Orson Welles, Claudette Colbert and Natalie Wood. (Love that one!)
- Jane Eyre with Orson Welles, Joan Fontaine and Elizabeth Taylor (although her part was un-credited, you can’t help but notice her. She’s a beautiful little girl!)
- Only Angels Have Wings with Cary Grant. (Another yum!)
- A Season For Miracles (A GREAT Christmas movie written by MARILYN PAPPANO!)
If I’m feeling a little down or depressed (or sad) all I have to do is watch one of these movies and I’ll feel so much better!
Of course, there are some movies that once I’ve seen them (or a portion of them) I’ll run a mile to keep from watching again. (If I’m feeling good and have to watch one of these movies, my mood falls flat as three-day-old road kill on a busy highway!)
- Das Boot (top of G-Man’s list, the BOTTOM of mine!) A movie about a submarine crew. Follows every nano-second of their voyage (zzzzz) and they die in the end. 😦
- Helter Skelter– Charles Manson, his family and their murders. Makes my stomach hurt.
- Sommersby–I love Richard Gere, but HATE this movie because he falls in love with Jodie Foster, but rather than admit he’s not who he says he is, he choses to die. (Yuck.)
- Beavis and Butthead–Remind me of a pair of characters I knew growing up. They make my stomach hurt.
There are several movies I’ve never watched because my stomach hurts just thinking about them.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- The Last House on the Left
- The Hills Have Eyes
- ANY of the HALLOWEEN movies.
- Nightmare on Elm Street
So . . . looking back at what I like, what I hate and what I won’t even look at, I have a feeling I’m revealing a lot about myself. (I love HEA, happy, snappy, don’t-think-too-hard-just-enjoy-them film. Books, too.)
What movies do you like? Any idea what that says about you?