I love movies. I probably caught that bug from my parents. When they were middle school age, they’d sit together at the free movies shown out-of-doors in Old ‘Ford. 🙂 They enjoyed watching movies together until the day Mama passed.
I watch very little commercial TV because I hate commercials. Movies are my fave!
Some movies I like so much, I’ll watch every time they come on.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn. (Did you know James Cagney was originally chosen to play Robin? Oy!)
- Giant, starring Elizabeth Taylor.
- ANYTHING starring Greer Garson, especially MRS. MINIVER! Oh, and Pride and Prejudice. And Blossoms in the Dust. (tears!) And I can’t leave out VALLEY OF DECISION with both Greer and Gregory Peck. (Y-U-M!!!)
- Lots and lots of John Wayne movies shine at the top of the list. Flying Tigers, Angel and the Bad Man, Shepherd of the Hills, The Cowboys, Stagecoach and HONDO! to name a few.
- Tomorrow is Forever, with Orson Welles, Claudette Colbert and Natalie Wood. (Love that one!)
- Jane Eyre with Orson Welles, Joan Fontaine and Elizabeth Taylor (although her part was un-credited, you can’t help but notice her. She’s a beautiful little girl!)
- Only Angels Have Wings with Cary Grant. (Another yum!)
- A Season For Miracles (A GREAT Christmas movie written by MARILYN PAPPANO!)
If I’m feeling a little down or depressed (or sad) all I have to do is watch one of these movies and I’ll feel so much better!
Of course, there are some movies that once I’ve seen them (or a portion of them) I’ll run a mile to keep from watching again. (If I’m feeling good and have to watch one of these movies, my mood falls flat as three-day-old road kill on a busy highway!)
- Das Boot (top of G-Man’s list, the BOTTOM of mine!) A movie about a submarine crew. Follows every nano-second of their voyage (zzzzz) and they die in the end. 😦
- Helter Skelter– Charles Manson, his family and their murders. Makes my stomach hurt.
- Sommersby–I love Richard Gere, but HATE this movie because he falls in love with Jodie Foster, but rather than admit he’s not who he says he is, he choses to die. (Yuck.)
- Beavis and Butthead–Remind me of a pair of characters I knew growing up. They make my stomach hurt.
There are several movies I’ve never watched because my stomach hurts just thinking about them.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- The Last House on the Left
- The Hills Have Eyes
- ANY of the HALLOWEEN movies.
- Nightmare on Elm Street
So . . . looking back at what I like, what I hate and what I won’t even look at, I have a feeling I’m revealing a lot about myself. (I love HEA, happy, snappy, don’t-think-too-hard-just-enjoy-them film. Books, too.)
What movies do you like? Any idea what that says about you?
June 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm
Susan, everything you said I thought “Ditto”….I can’t stomach Halloween and Horror genre; I love a good movie with a happy ending and even like a surprise ending (Somersby I thought was good—btw, I couldn’t think of that name the other day); and I LOVE LOVE the Classics. Just saw Dead Ringer with Bette Davis and had forgotten how good it was. Thanks for the Memories!!!
June 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm
I’m a movie lover, for sure! We’re going to have to disagree on Somersby, though. I hated the way it ended. 😦
June 4, 2013 at 2:38 pm
Susan any movie that was shown on a summer’s Saturday night in the old ‘Ford was great. Never missed one.
June 4, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Hey Steve! Long time no see!
I’ve heard they were great movies. I’m wondering though, were they talkies?
June 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm
I think what you’ve revealed about yourself is that we could get along well… 😉
Here’s a link to a post I did a while back about the types of movies I like — http://aerykah.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/movies-my-strange-taste/ What do you think this says about me? Because I have no idea! 😉
June 4, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Oh, my, Aerykah!
I think we could do more than get along well. I think we could be very good friends! You have excellent taste in movies!!! I saw very few on your blog that I didn’t love.
BTW: I think it says we have GREAT taste!!! But that’s just my opinion, of course.
I saw on your blog that you enjoy reading Vickie McDonough. Isn’t she great? I’ve read her since she started publishing and still enjoy her. She’s a really nice person to know, too. (We even have some of the same taste in decorating. LOL!)
June 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm
Why, thank you! I think we have great taste too! 😉
I have read a few of her books and really enjoyed them. I’ll definitely be keeping my eye out for more of her books!
June 6, 2013 at 8:15 am
Have you read Marilyn Pappano’s books? She’s another local author I really enjoy reading and knowing.
Are you a writer?
June 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm
No, I haven’t. I’ll have to look her up & see if I can find some at the library or something! My library is very supportive of local authors, so I think they should have some of hers. 🙂
Not published, no… But I do really enjoy writing!